Laptop is the best hardware designed in the last decade when it comes to mobility. You can carry your laptop anywhere and do all the works you do on a full-fledged pc. But it can become frustrating if the laptop keyboard stop working. Your work will get delayed and you can face a lot of issues when your keyboard is not working.
Recently, my laptop’s keyboard stopped working and I tried some troubleshooting. After googling for half an hour and performing the troubleshooting, my laptop keyboard started working. In this post, I’m going to share the steps you need for troubleshooting the keyboard issue on your laptop.
What to do When Laptop Keyboard is Not Working?
Restart your laptop
Sometimes a simple restart of your laptop can help in resolving the issue you are facing. If the keyboard is not working on your laptop then try restarting your laptop.
- To restart your laptop click on the windows icon.
- Click on the power button.
- Now select the restart option.
If restarting the laptop doesn’t fix the keyboard issue, then let us try shutting down and turning on your device.
- Click on the windows icon.
- Click the power icon.
- Now click on shut down.
- Press the physical power button on the laptop.
Once the laptop is turned on, check if the keyboard is working properly or not.
Clean your laptop keyboard
Most of the time your laptop keyboard can stop functioning properly due to dust. This is not a hardware problem and you can quickly fix this problem on your own. Sometimes your laptop can stop working due to the debris under the buttons. To clean the keyboard buttons you can use small brushes or fiber cloths. Make sure to clean the debris from under the key and between the keys. After cleaning the laptop buttons, now restart your laptop and check if the keys are working properly or not.
Check for Hardware Issues
If the laptop keyboard is still not working, then let’s check if the issue is related to the hardware. The best way to check this is to use the keyboard in the pre-boot. In case the keyboard is working before windows boots, then you can try the software troubleshooting. You can follow the steps below.
- Click the start option.
- Go to settings.
- Search for the recovery option and select “recovery option”.
- Go to advanced startup and select the restart now option.
- Once the computer is booted up, select troubleshoot.
- Now select the advanced option.
- Select the command prompt.
- Once the command prompt checks if your keyboard is working.
Check Your Keyboard Driver and Settings
Updating and reinstalling the drivers of the keyboard can help in fixing your laptop keyboard issue. You can easily update or reinstall your keyboard drivers from the settings. To update your laptop’s driver you can follow the steps below.
- Right-click on the windows icon.
- Open the device manager.
- Click on the keyboard.
- Now right-click the driver and click on update driver.
Check if the keyboard is working or not. If not then click on uninstall the driver and restart your laptop. Now your keyboard should work fine.
Select the correct keyboard layout
Your keyboard can stop working if the selected layout is not correct. You can easily resolve this issue by selecting the correct keyboard layout in the settings. You can follow the steps below to change the keyboard layout.
- Press the Windows key and select settings.
- Click on the time and language option.
- Now select the language option.
- Now in the preferred language option make sure the correct language is selected.
- If not then click on add language and select the correct language.
- Now select the preferred language option and select options.
- Now check if the keyboard on the screen matches your keyboard.
For mac users
- Go to system preferences.
- Select the keyboard option.
- Select input sources.
- Now choose “show input menu in menu bar” click the + icon and select the language to add.
After selecting the correct keyboard layout your laptop keyboard should start working properly.
Fix Keyboard Not Working on MAC
- Go to system preferences.
- Now select accessibility.
- Now select the keyboard option.
- If the Enable slow key is enabled, then disable it.
Now the mac laptop keyboard should work fine.
Use External Keyboard
If the laptop keyboard is still not working, then you can use the external keyboard as a workaround. Connect an external keyboard to the laptop and check if it is working properly. You can use the external keyboard now as your primary keyboard.
Contact Your Laptop Manufacturer
If none of the steps worked for you, you should contact the laptop manufacturer for help. The technical support team of your laptop can help you in troubleshooting keyboard-related issues.
More helpful guides:
Virus Alert From Microsoft This Computer Is Blocked